Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What Would Norma Watson Wear?


It's no secret around my house that I *love* horror films. It is a guarantee that if you ever see me in a video store I will either be in the horror section or raiding the candy shelf. Several years ago I had the pleasure of working in a video store (hands down the best job EVER) and whenever I could get away with it I would have some blood drenched eyeballs popping out gut splattering flick playing on the in store TV. Lucky for me the store I worked at had a great selection of 70s and 80s horror so I had a lot of fun stuff to choose from. One of my favorites back then (and still is!) was Carrie.

Carrie wasn't the goriest of films by any means, but it certainly was disturbing. I won't go into details about the film because I'm pretty sure we've all seen or at least heard about it. What I will tell you about is my favorite character... Miss Norma Watson.

I loved Norma from the very first time she opened her bitchy little mouth. She may have been cruel and heartless just like her friends, but Norma had her a style all her own. While the other girls were wearing gauzy tops and chevron skirts, Norma was decked out in denim overalls. She wore chunky boots in a sea of espadrilles and red hot gym shorts while the other girls were basic in black. She had perfectly messy pigtails with jangly hair ties, an array of rainbow pins and a flowy prom dress topped off with her signature red cap. So my dear blogging friends this post is for Norma and all her individual glory. The next time you are having trouble finding your own style just ask yourself.... What Would Norma Watson Wear?


All images were found via Google images except for the vintage prom dress. It is available on Etsy and can be found -->here<--

14 comments:

  1. I hate horror films but i do like this Norma's style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog ! you have talent :)

    I write for a fashion blog and think that you should follow it-enrapturenow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am not much of a horror movie fan, but i am more a Norma than a dainty girl. My taste always turned towards an old pair of jeans and converse rather than a cute dress and high heels.
    great post !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always had my own style. In jr high in the 70's, I wore vintage jackets and scarves and men's knit ties. I liked setting my own trends. I wanted to take a moment to say hi and thank you for joining my blog. I hope that you will enjoy the ride. This is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the inspiration behind this! I actually have never seen Carrie (I know, I know....) but I am seriously such a chicken when it comes to horror movies! The only one that I can watch is Night of the Living Dead! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love horror films too! A lot. Now that Audrey is here, I can't watch them as much and I'm having cheezy horror withdrawals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and my favorite job EVER was a record store. Kinda like a video store but with music. When I worked there, Sundays were "Ska" days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty much a fashion don't on a day to day basis which I guess means I sorta have a style all my own. I know what's fashionable (generally, or like basically, I mean I read Glamour so, it helps, right?) I just don't put much effort into obtaining it or wearing it. And, I've always been horrible with accessories. I've been wearing the same earrings for the past 9 years. They are diamond studs so it's not like they're outta style, but man, a change would be good. Sorry to commandeer your comments, I just had little to say about your girl Norms since I spent the entire showing of Carrie hiding in the backseat of my parents' car at the drive through. Scariest movie ever. Aside from Children of the Corn. Totally ruined me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW :D NICE POST
    http://pinkandlovecolada.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. love you vintage, if you want check my blog

    http://bimbaropavintage.blogspot.com

    i´m from Argentina Bs. As.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your blog, you have a great talent...
    wanna follow each other?

    winterbag.blogspot

    kisses from Milano!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this! chevron skirts with pigtails are too cute!

    -kim
    found the route

    ReplyDelete